Copper Beech Manor was named for the majestic Rohan Copper Beech tree that graces the rear gardens. The tree is estimated to be about one hundred and twenty-five years old and towers over seventy-five feet, providing horticultural interest to the garden with its deep reddish maroon summer foliage that fades to coppery green toward fall.
Built in 1857, the Federal Style Manor was erected and occupied by Jonathan Nesbit, a noteworthy contractor of his day, along with his sister. Nesbit is also credited with building the nearby Presbyterian and Lutheran churches. In 1861, Nesbit added an addition to the rear of the house which included a ‘hidden room’ on the third floor, claimed to have been a refuge for slaves on the Underground Railroad.
The first floor of the Manor features four common rooms including a library with a wide assortment of reading materiasl, two sitting rooms for relaxation and conversation, and a guest dining room featuring nine inch hand-hewn crown moldings, and ten foot arched pocket doors.
Five individually personalized guest rooms, each with its own private bath, are located on the second floor. Four of the guest rooms still feature their original, random-width pine flooring.
Located above the Susquehanna Suite is a ‘hidden’ room, believed to have been a sanctuary for runaway slaves using the Underground Railroad before and during the Civil War. Regrettably, this room is not accessible by guests.